Google Summer of Code 2023: Are you interested in gaining real-world experience in open-source software development? Learn about Google Summer of Code 2023, including eligibility criteria, the application process, and the timeline.
About Google Summer of Code 2023:
Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a renowned program that offers aspiring open-source contributors the chance to work on a 12+ week coding project with one of approximately 200 open-source organizations. Since its inception in 2005, GSoC has facilitated the participation of over 18,000 students and new contributors in open-source software development. The program aims to motivate developers to start contributing to open-source projects, bring new developers into open-source communities, expose contributors to real-world software development scenarios, and create more open-source code for the benefit of all.
To be eligible for Google Summer of Code 2023, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18 years or older at the time of program registration.
- Must not be a resident of a country embargoed by the United States.
- Must be eligible to work in the country of residence for the duration of the program.
- Must be new or beginner contributors to open-source software development.
The general timeline for Google Summer of Code 2023 is as follows:
- March 7: Google selects approximately 200 open-source organizations to mentor students.
- March 7 – April 3: Proactive participants reach out to the selected organizations to discuss project ideas.
- April 4 – April 19: Students register on the program site and submit proposals to the selected organizations.
- May 20: Organizations announce their selected GSoC contributors.
- May 20 – June 12: Selected GSoC contributors spend three weeks “bonding” with the open-source community and working on milestones and project schedules with their mentors.
- June 13 – September 12: GSoC contributors spend 12+ weeks coding on their projects, meeting milestones, and receiving evaluations from mentors.
- September 20: Successful GSoC 2023 contributors doing the standard 12-week project are announced.
- November 14: GSoC contributors with extended program timelines wrap up their projects.
The application process for Google Summer of Code 2023 involves the following steps:
- Register as a student in the program on the official program site (g.co/gsoc) between the designated dates.
- Submit proof of enrollment in an accredited university program.
- Research and select up to three open-source organizations to which you wish to apply.
- Prepare and submit a written proposal through the program site to the selected organizations between the designated dates.
- Review the Program Rules and FAQs for further guidance.
What is Google Summer of Code (GSoC)?
Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a program that offers new contributors the opportunity to gain real-world experience by working on a coding project with an open-source organization under the guidance of mentors. GSoC has been running since 2005 and has brought in over 18,000 students and new contributors into the world of open-source software development.
When does Google Summer of Code 2023 take place?
Google Summer of Code 2023 is expected to take place from April 4 to September 12, 2023.
Where does Google Summer of Code 2023 happen?
Google Summer of Code 2023 is a virtual program, which means participants can work remotely from anywhere in the world.
Google Summer of Code 2023 is an excellent opportunity for aspiring open-source contributors to gain real-world experience, work on meaningful projects, and contribute to the open-source community. By following the application process and meeting the eligibility criteria, students can participate in this prestigious program and further their careers in software development.